Dec 25, 2008

So What's Next?

It's now been about a full month, so here's an update.

Consistently training for the Ironman was the hardest thing I every did, and completing the Ironman has been not only a highlight of my life, but quite likely, my greatest physical accomplishment. Just tonight, I finally removed my race-day wrist band and put it in a box for my wife. I'm giving it to her to recognize her vital role in my achievement.

But now what? Where do I go from here?

Well I have my sights set on a few major goals:

1. Ultraman Canada in 2009.
2. A couple of 50 mile runs
3. The Western States 100 Mile Ultramarathon
4. The Badwater 135 mile Ultramarathon

The goals must always be harder and bigger. As hard as this is going to be for so many to understand....after all this work and struggle, the Ironman event no longer holds enough excitment for me to stay motivated. Been there. Done that. What's next?

When one only enters these events "to finish" then the allure, excitement and draw of the event quickly fades. It was never my objective to place high in the rankings, although I certainly would like to place higher in my future races, and I know that I can.

I am drawn more toward the Ultra endurance events. Long, slow distances; that's where I'm most comfortable versus the raw speed. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be quick, but I've come to understand that I may be better suited for endurance events than the shorter, faster races.