Jan 13, 2009

Only 40% Done

As I crossed the finish line and achieved my dream of becomming an Ironman the emotions where overwhelming. All that hard work, struggle, pain and suffering. The ups the downs, the incredible low points. It was now over and I couldn't hold back the rushing onslaught of emotion and pure joy and extreme pride.

But once we accomplish great things and the stories have been told and retold, then what? Are we done? Do we stay at the same event and just do it again and again? Or do we look for even greater quests, greater challenges? Do we look for inspiration in other areas, other fields of endeavor? Really....what do we do after we accomplish such grand objectives, goals and dreams?

I need constant change and new challenges. I'm not wired for the status quo and so I set out seeking even greater challenges. To see how far the human spirit can be moved. What's our real limit?

As David Goggins, one of the most inspiring and successful ultra endurance athletes in the world says, "When you hit that wall and everything inside of you tells you that you should quit....at that moment you are only about 40% done!"

There's still another 60% left to give and that's exactly how I feel after completing the Ironman.

I've scoured the journals and the web for exciting new challenges and adventures. Soon I will report on the next journey.

Stay tuned!