Jun 19, 2008

Personal Insights, Opinions and Topics of Interest to Triathletes

Best Times to Workout:

Yesterday (4/13/2008) I got up at 5:30 am and prepared for a long ride down through Laguna Canyon and out onto PCH. Total ride of 65 miles or so. I left the house at 6:30 am. I had done most of the prep work the day and night before, which allowed me to hit the road quickly in the morning. But it is important to keep in mind that it does take at least 30 minutes of prep work before a long ride: Oil chain, check for proper air pressure, prepare/mix bottle of liquid nutrition, fill water bottle, check kit for tubes, air and patch kit, pick out the bibs and shirt, make sure cell phone is charged, plan the route, gather all other stuff I will put in my jersey (credit card, emergency info, cash, GU packets, etc.)

The big news is that leaving my house just after sunrise was an entirely different experience. New sounds, new smells, things look different in the light of daybreak vs. mid-day sun, etc. Also I noticed that on an early Sunday morning, there is far less traffic!! What a pure, unimitigated joy!! I felt much safer. I rode through an area I never knew existed: Little Siagon. WOW! Early morning sites, sounds and smells from this area was very unique, and it is huge, it is not "Little" at all!! It is amazing! It is located in Orange County off Edinger or Bolsa in Westminster I believe. Just incredible.

But the important take-away is that it is much better to:

1. Prepare the night before

2. Leave early morning!!

Aero Bike Frames:
No question that in a wind tunnel, aero bike frames consistently prove that they will save you time on the road; the greatest your race distance, the greater the potential savings. Just be aware that your own body contributes to at least 70% of the aerodynamic drag, and at the most, the bike frame contributes to as much as 30%. You'd be far better to focus on your position than the world's most aero frame!